By John Fowler
Read Online or Download A Season in Strathglass PDF
Similar uk history books
* exhibits the ancient significance of demanding situations to the nation and strong teams. * Demonstrates how rights we take without any consideration were obtained and set into legislations over the years because of the activities of dedicated women and men. a definite point of dissent, protest and open debate is a vital a part of united kingdom historical past and democratic procedures.
Within the years following the wonderful Revolution, autonomous slave investors challenged the constitution of the Royal African corporation by way of announcing their common rights as Britons to alternate freely in enslaved Africans. during this finished background of the increase and fall of the RAC, William A. Pettigrew grounds the transatlantic slave alternate in politics, now not financial forces, examining the ideological arguments of the RAC and its rivals in Parliament and in public debate.
The following, the eminent historian Christopher Hibbert explores lifestyles in Victorian England, a time while the British Empire used to be at its top, while the wealthy English basked within the Pax Britannica and idea their growth and balance could pass on forever.
This e-book, first released in 1989, recounts the altering perceptions of the geographical region through the 19th- and twentieth-centuries, assisting us to appreciate extra totally the problems that experience prompted our view of the appropriate nation-state, prior and current. a number of the chapters are involved in ways that Victorian artists, poets, and prose writers portrayed the nation-state in their day; others with the landowners’ amazing and expensive nation homes, and their prettification of ‘model’ villages, reflecting trendy romantic and Gothic types.
- Towers of Strength: Martello Towers Worldwide
- Making Thatcher's Britain
- Britain and Latin America in the 19th and 20th Centuries (Studies In Modern History)
- Heavenly Harmony: Organs and Organists of Exeter Cathedral
- Twentieth-Century Britain: A Political History
- The Story of Ancient Irish Civilization
Extra info for A Season in Strathglass
A Season in Strathglass by John Fowler