By Christopher Hibbert
Read Online or Download Life in Victorian England PDF
Similar uk history books
* indicates the historic significance of demanding situations to the country and robust teams. * Demonstrates how rights we take with no consideration were received and set into legislation through the years due to the activities of devoted women and men. a definite point of dissent, protest and open debate is a crucial a part of united kingdom historical past and democratic procedures.
Within the years following the wonderful Revolution, self sufficient slave investors challenged the constitution of the Royal African corporation by way of saying their ordinary rights as Britons to alternate freely in enslaved Africans. during this entire background of the increase and fall of the RAC, William A. Pettigrew grounds the transatlantic slave alternate in politics, now not financial forces, reading the ideological arguments of the RAC and its competitors in Parliament and in public debate.
Right here, the eminent historian Christopher Hibbert explores lifestyles in Victorian England, a time whilst the British Empire was once at its top, while the filthy rich English basked within the Pax Britannica and suggestion their development and balance could pass on forever.
This ebook, first released in 1989, recounts the altering perceptions of the geographical region in the course of the 19th- and twentieth-centuries, assisting us to appreciate extra absolutely the problems that experience encouraged our view of the correct geographical region, prior and current. a few of the chapters are enthusiastic about ways that Victorian artists, poets, and prose writers portrayed the nation-state in their day; others with the landowners’ remarkable and expensive kingdom homes, and their prettification of ‘model’ villages, reflecting trendy romantic and Gothic types.
- Durham City in the Great War (Towns and Cities)
- Union of Crowns: The Forging of Europe's Most Independent State
- The Annual Register - A Review of Public Events at Home and Abroad (1915)
- The Devil in Disguise: Deception, Delusion, and Fanaticism in the Early English Enlightenment
- Stansted Airport Through Time
Additional resources for Life in Victorian England
Life in Victorian England by Christopher Hibbert