By W. Mulligan,M. Bric
Read Online or Download A Global History of Anti-Slavery Politics in the Nineteenth Century PDF
Best uk history books
* exhibits the old significance of demanding situations to the country and robust teams. * Demonstrates how rights we take with no consideration were got and set into legislation through the years due to the activities of dedicated women and men. a definite point of dissent, protest and open debate is a primary a part of united kingdom background and democratic procedures.
Within the years following the fantastic Revolution, self reliant slave investors challenged the constitution of the Royal African corporation by means of announcing their normal rights as Britons to alternate freely in enslaved Africans. during this finished background of the increase and fall of the RAC, William A. Pettigrew grounds the transatlantic slave alternate in politics, now not financial forces, examining the ideological arguments of the RAC and its rivals in Parliament and in public debate.
Right here, the eminent historian Christopher Hibbert explores lifestyles in Victorian England, a time while the British Empire was once at its top, while the filthy rich English basked within the Pax Britannica and suggestion their development and balance may pass on forever.
This publication, first released in 1989, recounts the altering perceptions of the nation-state through the 19th- and twentieth-centuries, supporting us to appreciate extra absolutely the problems that experience inspired our view of the suitable nation-state, earlier and current. a few of the chapters are interested in ways that Victorian artists, poets, and prose writers portrayed the nation-state in their day; others with the landowners’ extraordinary and dear nation homes, and their prettification of ‘model’ villages, reflecting trendy romantic and Gothic types.
- Beda: A Journey to the Seven Kingdoms at the Time of Bede
- Word Maps: A Dialect Atlas of England: Volume 29 (Routledge Library Editions: The English Language)
- Visions of an Unseen World: Ghost Beliefs and Ghost Stories in Eighteenth Century England: Volume 10 (Religious Cultures in the Early Modern World)
- Medicine, Health and the Public Sphere in Britain, 1600-2000 (Routledge Studies in the Social History of Medicine)
Extra resources for A Global History of Anti-Slavery Politics in the Nineteenth Century
A Global History of Anti-Slavery Politics in the Nineteenth Century by W. Mulligan,M. Bric